2/26/2013

No Time Like Snow Time

It's snowing again here and we've managed to get out in it a couple of times between hard snowfalls.  While we've only gotten about 2 feet of snow in the last while the drifts are really stacking up making our snowshoeing outings more like wading waist deep through the snow.  At first I wasn't quite sure we should even be snowshoeing in such deep snow, but now that we have the hang of it it's really beautiful.  It also doesn't hurt that Jay does most of the hard work blazing the trail through the fresh snow in front of us.  Still, it really kills the calves and thighs.  I'm on day 3 of eating spinach for breakfast (including it in my morning smoothie) and I think the super food of Popeye is helping out as well.  It could also be Jay's coconut cream pie.  This newly revealed hidden talent of his will be enjoyed by everyone this holiday season.  I foresee some serious pie making for all of our holiday parties.  I won't even try to explain how delicious and beautiful his pies are, not to mention the serious speed bump they are on the road to my spring break beach body.  Simply irresistible!



Speaking of culinary quests, I too have had some recent successes and failures.  I discovered that cooking celery in anything other than a pot pie or soup just doesn't work.  I basically ruined the chicken vegetable casserole that I made by adding too much celery.  Also I decided to make up a vegetable soup in which I pureed onion, tomatoes, cabbage, peppers, carrots, and broccoli in hopes of the end product being a creamy vegetable soup.  It too did not turn out so hot but worked lovely as a marinade and baking sauce for some bass my dad brought to us.  Baked bass in vegetable sauce.  Yum.  Today we had fish tacos with green peppers, onion, black beans and adobo cream sauce.  We'll definitely be recreating those in the future.  On the menu for tonight: Stir fried vegetables and brown rice.


1 comment:

  1. I love to hear of your culinary delights and see your snow shoes in action! Spinach for breakfast - with or without milk? I definitely think spinach would help me but then again, will never have that spring break beach body. Guess that is why we are not going to the beach for spring break!

    ReplyDelete